Saturday, June 25, 2011

A Fest of Many Colors


Just returned from Pridefest '11 at Tower Grove Park in St. Louis, and I had a good time (this was my first time). Though I was expecting much more activity, it still had excitement (aside from some pastor walking around the perimeter spewing vitriol against the whole thing, though very briefly, it was good excitement). Some good acts (go Gateway Men's Chorus!), many great vendors, and the largest collection of non-straight people I've seen, some of whom were advertising their goods, to put it politely. I spent most of the time with my best friend/ex-girlfriend, who, when I left her, was more bedecked in pride then myself, including a brand new rainbow purse.

Indeed, I ended up with only a bracelet (one of those of the LiveStrong kind) because it was tossed out for free. I had a certain peculiar shame of sexuality for much of my life, and I'm only recently getting over it; this, along with my naturally reserved nature, leads me to be quiet about expressing myself very noticeably. My embarrassment was peculiar because my stance on sexuality was very equivocal, which is to say that I didn't know what it was, it was changing every time I thought about it. Over the years though, as I became more comfortable with myself, my views became more specified and pacified. I prefer to keep many private things private, so I'm not going to get more specific about my life relative to this matter. However, for all the victories that PrideFests around the world celebrate, for me, going today was about celebrating my victory over past qualms over a part of myself and others.

A work of beauty that a friend posted on Facebook, by Debussy.


1 comment:

  1. Pride fest can be quite an experience. I am very glad you enjoyed yourself and congrats on the victory over past qualms involving parts of yourself. Those challenges are never easy but overall it helps us grow as individuals into the people we are today! Enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete